Heath Bar Tiramisu
May 15, 2011 § Leave a comment
(Blasphemy Alert) .. Have you ever eaten a good Tiramisu .. not over–soaked, mushy or anything of that sort, but still wanted for some texture to offset the creamy coffee ‘goodness’ that it is? At the risk of being at the receiving end of much outrage from Tiramisu purists -I admit I have. And have you loved Coffee Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream from Ben & Jerry’s? That’s what got me thinking of a Heath Bar Tiramisu – and all was well with the world for 5 minutes. Seriously, that’s all it takes to eat one of these slices.
Coffee, Chocolate and Caramel Crunch – you can’t really go wrong with that flavor combination right?. I adapted the recipe from the recipe for Tiramisu included with a packet of Balocco brand ladyfingers. Maybe the next time I’ll try make the lady fingers at home as well. I swapped out the marsala wine, typically used in Tiramisu for Godiva chocolate liqueur, and changed up the ratios a teeny bit. And of course added crushed heath bar pieces between the layers and just before serving, a sprinkling on top as well along with the cocoa. The pieces that I added between the layers softened during the refrigeration to add a slight caramel undertone. Yum!
450 gm. (8.75 Oz) Mascarpone Cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
4+2 tbsps. chocolate liqueur (I used Godiva)
1 7.05oz package of lady fingers
2 Heath Bars, crushed
1 1/3cup espresso (I used instant espresso powder)
3 tbsps. Cocoa
- Separate the eggs. In a double boiler, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until frothy . Take care to ensure that the eggs are not heated too much (We don’t want scrambled eggs!).
- Mix in the mascarpone cheese
- Whip the egg white to stiff peaks, and fold into the mixture.
- Add 4 tbsps. of the chocolate liqueur and mix into a smooth cream.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coffee and remaining 2 tbsps. of chocolate liqueur
- In the dish of choice, I used a spring form pan to make serving easier, spread a layer of cream. Soak the ladyfingers in coffee, turning them on both sides, and then line them on top of the cream. Pour another layer of cream over the ladyfingers and top with crush heath bars and coffee soaked ladyfingers. Finish with another layer of cream.
- Refrigerator for at least 2 hours, and at best overnight. Sprinkle the top with more crushed heath bars, dust with cocoa and serve!